Monday, February 1, 2010

Listen, The Snow Is Falling


Somewhere in the middle of learning about San Diego the past two weeks for this competition, I found myself thinking how nice a place it would be to live: The weather is almost always beautiful and sunny, beaches abound, the regional economy seems solid, the Mexican food is probably very good, Padres tickets are cheap. The past weekend here, when the temperature never made it above 25 degrees, prompting me to drive everywhere, mildly grumpy and still cold, certainly exacerbated the situation.

Walking home tonight, with the contest finished, I realized I don't think I could bear to live in San Diego. David Shields, an English professor at the University of Washington, writes in one of my favorite books the idea that East Coast residents are somehow heartier or tougher than their West Coast counterparts because of their weather is ridiculous -- just another tool for furthering the us-versus-them divide that tears constantly at society. Though I love that book's insights dearly, I disagree. There is something about cold weather and shoveling -- and the resolve to get through both while still smiling -- that builds true character. More importantly, true appreciation only comes from not having something around all of the time. When it's always sunny, isn't the sun boring? The anticipation of seasons, the excitement that comes with their changing, is too wonderful to quantify. Among many other reasons, that's what keeps me living in the Northeast, even as so many feet here vote otherwise.

Thanks to Galaxie 500 for inspiring the post's title, via their cover of the Yoko Ono song of the same name.

No comments: