Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Barack Obama And I Are Practically Best Friends

Much to my delight, I read in Sunday's Times that Barack Obama also detests it when people use the word "impact" as a verb! In fact, according to the story, when he started slipping and doing it himself, his aides realized that Washington was wearing him down: "Even Mr. Obama's speech has changed a bit, close observers say. Though he still disdains Washington, he often sounds less like a disapproving outsider and more like a participant. One former aide was startled to hear Mr. Obama use 'impact' as a verb, a particular tendency in the capital." "Impact" is a noun, end of story. One can change or affect an  outcome, but one can't impact an outcome. One can only have an impact on an outcome. I'm so glad to know that President Obama and I share so much common. If we both dislike one specific word, imagine what other bonds lie below. I had to tell my wife quickly.

More importantly, Obama is restless: "Mr. Obama's entire career has been about getting to the next stage: if he could only become a lawyer, and then a public officials, and then a United States senator, and then president, he could create real change." I certainly want my president to be someone who always wants more. I sure do.

No comments: