Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Fifteen Years Ago



In the liner notes for Belle and Sebastian's debut record, "Tigermilk," there's a passage about how Stuart Murdoch wrote all of his best songs in 1995, which is why the year is mentioned in them. "What will happen in 1996?" they asked themselves. I say, Don't overlook 1997! Do you realize how many excellent records came out that year? Belle and Sebastian, in fact, was in the midst of releasing its first trio of EPs. Then, Yo La Tengo had "I Can Hear the Heart Beating As One," Pavement had "Brighten the Corners," Modest Mouse had "The Lonesome Crowded West," Cornershop had "When I Was Born for the Seventh Time," and Radiohead had "OK Computer" (link not really necessary). Those are six of the most essential albums in my entire collection, and I'm sure there were a number of other good ones from that year that I've overlooked. Mainly, it's hard to believe that was 15 years ago.

Above is Cornershop performing its big single, "Brimful of Asha," on Jools Holland's show. What a great song, even if it made them a bit of a one-hit wonder.

No comments: