Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Adventures in Moving


That's my friend Ryder strapping my friend Jenny's mattress to the roof of my Subaru Outback two Sundays ago. Surprisingly, driving her mattress to Belmont was relatively easy and my car had no problems. My move, happening tomorrow, has been a long slog of packing, somewhere between John Cusack's line in "High Fidelity" that "It's not what you're like, it's what you like," and Fugazi's proclamation that "You are not what you own."

Fortunately, the move comes after a wonderful summer in Boston, brief tropical storm, earthquake and heat wave aside. There have been lots of crisp, sunny days that are a good reminders of why it's worth staying. And tonight is the Jimmy Fund Radio-Telethon, when the city comes together at a scale that it rarely does. I even fall for the mid-inning interviews with people from companies like Millenium Pharmaceuticals, but then, I'm overly sentimental.

No comments: