Saturday, February 19, 2011

On Buying Records



Last November, I bought four records, the newest ones by Belle and Sebastian, Sufjan Stevens, Wolf Parade and Robyn. All are veterans and all the albums but Robyn's ranged from OK to quite underwhelming. Two weeks ago I bought Twin Sister's debut EP, Lower Dens' first LP, the new LCD Soundsystem record, and the reissued editions of "Wowee Zowee" and "Hollywood Town Hall." While these are a mix of new bands and established, if not retired, ones, except for Pavement they have a common thread: I owned very few, if any, of their albums before these purchases. And all of the albums are quite good. Well, "Wowee Zowee" is pretty bad, but in a good way.

My bandmates and I often talk about professional bands' career arcs. One common question: Whose most recent album was better than its last? The answer gets significantly tougher when the question becomes: Whose most recent album was better than its last and has already released three records? Building a long-lasting, satisfying career in art is astoundingly challenging. Revelations are fleeting and the fans and the critics are fickle. This has important implications for the hard-won amounts of money one spends on music. (My answers to the second question: LCD Soundsystem, Beach House, the Sea and Cake, Do Make Say Think and maybe the National. At least they're who quickly come to mind.)

There are many bands I love. These days, the start of most of their careers dates to the 1990s, meaning the chance that they're still producing exciting records is, unfortunately, small. Yet, after so many years together, I still want to buy their record. I mean, how could I not buy the new Belle and Sebastian record? Belle and Sebastian is practically ingrained in me -- the band helps explain my personality ever so slightly. On the other hand, I know that my odds of enjoyment are much higher when I buy the EP from Twin Sister, a young and rising Brooklyn quintet. And, yes, I think the record is very good. But then, I don't want to have a record collection whose ranks only consist of one or two albums by each band. That suggests disloyalty, not a trait I honor.

All that said, while wandering in Newbury Comics last Tuesday, killing 15 minutes, I decided to buy Mogwai's new record, defying convention. The band started in the mid-1990s, its creative peak is at least nine years in the past and its three previous albums were viewed as mediocre. But then, I love the album's title -- "Hardcore Will Never Die But You Will" -- and its art -- evocative photos of some international city. The reasons why I spend money are strange. Or maybe I should've titled this post: The Incredibly Mild Dilemmas of Being Young and Having Some Spending Money.

Anyway, to the good times: Above is Twin Sister performing my favorite song on its EP, "Lady Daydream," in Philadelphia.

No comments: