Friday, March 12, 2010

Why Not Some More On Pavement?

As an impulse in the midst of a hectic two weeks, I bought today two tickets to Pavement's Sept. 18 show in town. While there was never any doubt that I wanted to go, I don't think I've spent $100 on concert tickets six months in advance of a show since high school, when I saw the Dave Matthews Band perform at Giants Stadium.

Pavement has long been one of the few bands I've lusted to see live but never have; for them, the main reason I missed out was they disbanded before I started to like them intensely and go to shows at clubs, not Giants Stadium. So what if it's a reunion tour accompanied by a mildly shameless best-of compilation that received a 10.0 rating from Pitchfork? And so what if there's a decent chance almost all the shows' set lists will resemble the one from the first night, earlier this month in Auckland, New Zealand? Pavement represents that era when you didn't have to be cool to be awesome; when loving words, slovenly wit and music were enough to be great and loved. Their creations seem effortless -- and maybe they are. They never reveal enough for you to know truly what happens, but enough so you can join the fun.

I haven't had an assigned seat in about eight years, but I think this will be worth it. Here's a funny video explaining how Pavement was pelted with mud at a show in West Virginia at the 1995 Lollapalooza tour:

No comments: