Saturday, September 12, 2009

Sincere Apologies To Everyone Who Walks

The worst part about my job the past four years was how much it required me to drive: My beloved 2003 red Subaru Outback station logged more than 120,000 miles in that span, primarily because my commute was at least 35 miles each way for all of it. Now that I'm a student again, I can refreshingly walk to campus every day in 20 minutes (and walk most places in general because I live in Cambridge, Mass.)

Walking everyday is an amazing eye-opener to how frustrating cars are -- the stopping, the starting, the swerving, etc. How I navigated the intersection of Beacon and Cambridge streets has acquired a new level of amazement. But, to bury the lede, the main point of this post is how much cars dominate the road no matter where you are while walking. Each time I cross a street, even if it's a quiet intersection without lights, I have to look carefully for cars turning or nudging out to make a turn. Sometimes, I find myself having to stare intently at them to ensure they see me. I realized a couple of days ago that I'm sure this is exactly how I drive, so, to all walkers out there, I now know what it's like and I'm sorry.

No comments: