Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Has Anyone Ever Seen Tunde Adebimpe And Justin Vernon In The Same Room Together?


Every time I hear a Bon Iver song on the radio, I'm always tricked into thinking it's a new TV on the Radio song. I get excited thinking it is, because it would be a great artistic move for them, or at least their lead singer, Tunde Adebimpe, to release a side project of slow, emotional, buzzing folk songs. It would be unexpected, undoubtedly well composed and prove that those guys can do anything they want. So I listen until the the DJ returns to recite the recent songs and, yup, it's always Justin Vernon, the given name of Bon Iver. Not that this is very disappointing -- the song is still a good song -- but it's mildly disappointing.

Adebimpe's and Vernon's voices are so similar, it's remarkable. They're so similar that I'm starting to think they're the same person, or maybe Adebimpe is Bon Iver and Vernon is TV on the Radio's lead singer? Does anyone have proof that these are two distinct people singing in two distinct bands? I've yet to see any.

Here are videos from each band to compound the ruse:



No comments: